[meteorite-list] Most expensive meteorites!

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

Ed says, referring to all collectors, "They are NUTS!"

Most critics of the prices paid for art probably don't have an understanding of what drives the value. Pieces created by an artist are meant to open a dialogue with those who view the work. The artist is making a statement using whatever medium he wishes. He hopes the viewer will understand what he has said. If initially successful, the artist continues to make works, as if having an ongoing conversation with his audience. If continually successful in inspiring and reaching his viewers with what he has to say, his work takes on importance and desirability, ergo value. All the other factors...a great technique, small output, uniqueness, and the death of the artist...also drive the price.

There are so many art genres..and some, like minimalism and conceptualism, use the simplest of mediums and objects to carry the artist's message. Ed's painted stripes on plywood for example. They mean nothing to Ed because he hasn't any familiarity with the ouvre of this artist. This doesn't make Ed ignorant. It's actually a failure on the part of the artist. But, for those that "get it" it's the successful conversation represented by this whole body of work that drives the price.

There are no limits to art. And much of what we see in other objects that provokes an emotional, or thoughtful. response is really art. This applies to meteorites. They speak to us in the language of creation. Their individual appearance is unpredictable and many times beautiful. Our curiosity drives us to analyze them with one revelation leading to another in a continuing conversation. Our response to this intimacy is to desire and value them. Some would say we are "NUTS".

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536