[meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:05:48 -0400

Hi Steve and all,

Lafayette is truly a rare specimen. Only 30 grams total in private hands. I
recently cut some of this material and still have small fragments that broke
off from what I was cutting. After I sell what little I have left, it will
be gone and nearly impossible to buy.

Anne,

If you pair up the lunar and martian meteorites, you will only find 60 plus
specimens that are unique of the lunar material and 80 plus of the martian.
These should sell well for you but in this speck collecting society after
collectors get their type specimen that is all they need. Better to have a
gram or two.

Alex,

Your exactly right on the lunars, over $35,000 to $40,000 for the first
material out. Blaine sold both DAG 262 and 400. I bought in with him on some
of that material and still have a pricy DAG 262 .1 th of a gram in my
collection that is a $3,000 piece. However at that time we had no idea that
other lunars would be found and we thought the material might be the only
material we might ever be able to own. I now have a fairly cost effective 7
gram lunar in my collection.

Besides the lack of type pieces as you pointed out (and was very true of
that time) little information on meteorites, few books, and contact was done
the old fashion way by mail for pieces, with occasional calls to dealers to
purchase specimens. Collectors these days have it much more easier with the
internet and ready access of material, books, and specimens. (getting off my
soap box now) :-)

--AL Mitterling