[meteorite-list] Martian vs. Lunar meteorites

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:21:51 +0200

Hi Rob & list,

a well-arranged list of the Lunars and Martians sorted by pairings you have
available on Norbert Classen's pages: http://www.meteoris.de/

Lunar list:
http://www.meteoris.de/luna/list.html

Martian list:
http://www.meteoris.de/mars/list.html

A comprehensive list with extensive information on each lunar stone, you'll
find at Randy Korotev's famous lunar meteorites site - the best place for
lunaites in the whole web:
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites.htm

and there the lunar listings:
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites_list_alumina.htm

The Martian pendant to Randy's pages are in progress, set up by Tony Irving:
http://www.imca.cc/mars/martian-meteorites.htm

>Depending on who is deciding which meteorites are paired, there
>will be variability on how many unique Martian meteorites there
>are.

Martians and Lunars are the only meteorite classes, where due to their
special meaning, pairings are always and immediately established quasi as
part of the classification process.
That's possible, cause they count among the most investigated and known
meteorites and there doesn't exist something like an "anonymous" Martian or
Lunar.

Thanks for the compliments for NWA 6162 :-)

Indeed our experiences don't coincide with that said here on the list about
the demand for Martians and the individual sizes of the specimens the
collectors prefer.
>From NWA 6162 currently only 2 grams (six smaller cuts) are left and it went
so fast like before NWA 5789, for which we hadn't to make advertizing
neither or like NWA 5990, where only a little is still left.
Hence one could think, that these are special cases,
NWA 6162 outshines all shergottitic finds known before regarding freshness
(and aesthetics IOHO)
and NWA 5789 and 5990 both were petrological novelties,
but also e.g. with the demand for NWA 4925 we are content.

With lunaites I see a shallow trough. I think mainly caused by the
expectations of the collectors, that due to the impact of the large-tkw NWA
5000, Moon would be available at unseen low rates.
Such little troughs happened with lunars also in past (remember the Dhofar
depression), but are always of a very temporary occurrence. Best indicator
for the latter is, that those lunaites of particular interest due to their
rare subtypes and special properties, remained constant in price and demand.

With Martians all in all we observed raising prices during the last 4 years.
Lunaites.....
well, I'm not Captain Blood, but I wouldn't wonder, if he would recommend in
one of his next Market Trends that it's now the time to buy lunaites and
Martians, cause that they'll get still cheaper one day or ever again seems
not sooo very likely.

At least not, if no 200kg chunk of them will be recovered in a free country.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----