[meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?

From: almitt2 at localnet.com <almitt2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:16:06 -0400

Greetings,

Just a note that DAG 262 was the first readily available Lunar
meteorite on the market followed by DAG 400. Calcalong Creek, Australia
was first available meteorite for sale at a cost of $1,000,000 per gram
to my understanding. I am not sure if any sold at that price.

Rob, Martin posted a listing of lunars and Martians I believe. I was
recalling from memory (a dangerous thing) so I could be a little off on
those. I will say that at one time and this may have changed with more
finding of Martian Meteorites, that about 6 impact spots on Mars was
believed to account for all the Martian Material we have in our
collections. Based off of Lipshultz's study at Purdue, Indiana.

Not sure if a study has been done on impact sites on the Moon and how
many there might be, but I do know that the lunar meteorite specimens
represent a sampling from different spots (including the far side of
the Moon) Apollo Lunar material seems to be unique, making all samples
very important for science. We landed on relatively smooth surfaces
for reasons of safety. Also out of the nearly a half ton of lunar
material in human collections (most from Apollo Landings), 1/8 of the
material is from lunar meteorites.

Hope I haven't strayed too far off subject. Best!

--AL Mitterling