[meteorite-list] Meteor shower meteorite dropping events

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:58:48 -0700 (MST)

Jeff:

Why would you expect cometary dust particles to look like CIs. CIs are
aqueously altered, and there is little indication that this would happen
on a comet (though there were possible observations of this from some Deep
Impact observations). You need a good deal of heating, enough to melt ice
so that the water can alter the silicates.

Interplanetary Dust Particles (IDPs) which are found mostly high in the
atmosphere, are not aqueously altered and are thought to be derived from
comets.

Larry