[meteorite-list] Ohio man claims struck by meteorite

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:25:54 -0400

Hi Folks,

Something to consider here, when weighing the responses from list
members, is longevity on this list.

For newer list members, this is the first, or second (or maybe third)
time they have heard a story like this. Or, for list members who
don't read every single post or skip posts, they might miss many of
these stories. But for those of us who have been around here for a
few years (or more) or for those of us who obsessively read every
post, this is the Nth-teen time we have heard this exact same story.
If one cares to go back into the depths of the list archives, there
are hundreds of these stories posted to the list - and very few of
them were posted because the story seemed plausible. Most were posted
for boredom or amusement, because it's obvious that these stories are
simply not true.

All of these stories follow a template or a formula :

1) person finds a meteorite
a) person is a boy scout
b) person is a retired merchant marine
c) person is a landscaper
d) person is a kid out riding his bike

2) the meteorite ...
a) fell during a cricket match
b) fell during a bar-b-que
c) fell during a camping trip
d) fell during a meteor shower

3) after it fell, the meteorite....
a) struck a vehicle
b) struck a person
c) struck a house
d) struck a tool shed

4) upon being found, the meteorite....
a) was glowing hot
b) was hot to the touch
c) was resting in a fresh crater
d) made a buzzing sound

5) the finder took the meteorite and had it verified by....
a) a local geologist who has never seen a meteorite
b) an economics professor at the local community college who has never
seen a meteorite
c) a meteorologist who said it looked like a meteorite (but has never
seen one in person)
d) a retired engineer who has never seen a meteorite

6) The first question the finder asks is - "how much can I sell it for?"

If I had a dollar for every one of these stories that gets published,
I could buy Strope's gorgeous Imilac football he was showing around
Tucson.

Best regards,

MikeG

http://www.galactic-stone.com