[meteorite-list] Selling a piece of the Berthoud Colorado meteorite

From: Edwin Thompson <etmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:43:11 +0000

Hello list members,

We have recently acquired the Berthoud, Colorado eucrite. Many of you remember this event on October 5, 2004 when a gorgeous 960 gram single mass landed just 96 feet away from Megan Whiteis moments after she stepped out of her house. Megan told me that she and her son heard a whooshing and whistling sound sort of like a sky rocket and she remembers seeing something black falling from the sky as they ducked for cover, startled by the sound and movement. She saw dirt fly up from the ground and a puff of dust where it landed in what is now their vegetable garden. A short walk to the site produced this amazing achondrite. This is one of only 8 witnessed, U.S., eucrite falls; very sexy and extremely rare. We need to say that we don't know where this stone is going to end up. It may go into museum collections. This piece is from the first cut. After classification and thin sectioning there is only a 900 gram mass remaining.

We are offering a 1.8 gram partial slice with fusion crust on one edge for: $3000.00

If you have interest in this specimen please email us off list at: etmeteorites at hotmail.com

Thanks very much, Edwin and Patrick

Attached are a couple of links to Berthoud meteorite information.

http://www.cloudbait.com/science/bermet.html

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2004/304.html