[meteorite-list] 1993/94 Perseids - The Night of Lights!

From: David Pensenstadler <dfpens01_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:53:01 -0700 (PDT)

Pittsburgh area was clear for the first time in years for the Perseids. Took my 10 year old granddaughter out and we observed until about 2:30 am. Saw a total of 24. My horizon is fairly high and so we could only observe from Cassiopea through Pegasus to Cygnus and a bit south of those constellations - a very limited area of sky. Bright lights of Pittsburgh wash out anything west.

These were the first meteors that my granddaughter has ever seen and she said they were "awesome".

Back in the mid-80's, I remember making counts of more than 150 per hour from a dark location away from city lights.

Dave