[meteorite-list] BACK - Value of Skype video & audio

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:51:59 -0700

Hellow all friends,
        My dad died nearly 2 weeks ago and my brother has been staying
At my house for the last 11 days. I have hardly even seen my email during
This time.
        My point is, I am back and if anyone sent me email and did not get
A response in the last 2 weeks, this is why and I would humbly request
They email me again, now, as I will be back reading email...
        Since I have a backlog of thousands, I will likely miss yours if you
Posted me during this time, so, please do write again.
        I am sure there are those among you that would like to express
sypathy for my loss, but I request you please simply hold a pleasant
Thought for me. That would be appreciated.
        The real thrust of this post is to apologize for any (manyinstances,
I am sure) lack of response on my part.

        On a different note, I would like to announce that I am now
available for video / voice contact via Skype.
        I have been astounded for nearly 20 years why it was the internet
World did not utilise this capacity for verbal/visual communication. I had
A video cam, but it seemed no one else did. Now they are building them
Into the current generation of computers and my brother helped me set
It up - and it is so simple I could have done it alone - now THAT is simple!
        Anyone interested, go to

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home

        One or two clicks and that is it - you are Skyped.
        There are two very important features:
1) (Mostly) Free long distance computer to phone contact (no video in this
format, of course). Some countries do have a low charge per minute. However:
2) Computer to computer: In this format, both people must be at their
computers and in a few cases, if your computer does not have a built in
mike, you may have to buy an inexpensive "headset" with a USB port contact.
This is FREE regardless of countries, but both parties must be at their
computers - but you can call someone and ask that they go to their computer
For free interaction.
        To contact for video/visual computer to computer, just use the
person's email address. For computer to phone, use their phone number.
The two different contacts must be set up in your skype address book, but
It is EASY.

        I think this is a valuable medium for the meteorite community
because:
- It allows cheap or free international calling
- FREE long distance within the US (and to most countries)
- FREE computer audio & visual contact (you can turn off your
Camera if you just want voice)
- FREE instant video examination of meteorite specimens.

        Quality of the video seen and transmitted depends on a number of
Factors, the most important being:
- High speed download on each end
- Quality of video cam ($8 to $80 with anything in the mid range being
  darn good - but as stated earlier, new computers have the cam built in.
        NOTE: regardless of the quality of your download and video cam,
        what is seen is always dictated by the lowest quality of either of
the two conversers.

        In any event, I hope to be having some video chats with my fellow
Meteorite friends.
        Best wishes, Michael