[meteorite-list] Questions about the Meteorite Top 100 List

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:00:31 -0400

Hi List,

I was recently asked in email - why would I want to put a link on my
website that sends visitors away to a listing of competitors?

Here is the answer, for those who are also wondering -

I think you will find, that in the majority of cases, the sites on the
list will receive more traffic than they give up. For each individual
site, you are only sending a handful of clicks to the list per day or
week. But each site, collectively, contributes dozens or more hits
per day. So you can already start to see that all of the sites have
more outgoing hits than inbound hits. In the end, any traffic you
lose should be made up for (and then some) by the traffic you gain.

Also, you don't have to put the link anywhere prominent. Some Top
Lists have a lot of rules about link placement, etc. I don't. So you
can bury the link in some obscure corner of your site and just click
on it yourself once a day. That will keep you visible on the list and
you won't be sending as many visitors away.

The goal of the list is to be a resource that is not just for dealers.
 Already we have at least one information site that is not a dealer,
and I hope we see more.

If anyone has experience with the Top Lists of the past (they were
once quite popular, before social networking and blogs), the sites who
participate in them receive more traffic than they give up. The goal
of any Top List is to improve the traffic of every site that
participates. And this is already happening on the Meteorite Top
List.

For those who have not checked it out, take a look -
http://meteorite.gotop100.com/

Best regards,

MikeG