[meteorite-list] WAS Cyanobacteria in meteorites? NOW: Life in Meteorites

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:15:39 -0700

Perhaps... But, are you referring to the "Orgueil" meteorite claim of
fossilized bacteria, Murchison, or the whole claim of fossilized
microbial life in meteorites all together?

We already know that microbial life can survive in space. The question
is for how long.

The conclusion sounds accurate enough to say...

Plausible: Life is not restricted to Earth, nor is there evidence that
says empirically that life could NOT survive in the harshness of space.
In fact there is more evidence that suggested it's probable than not.

Based on the fact that it has already been observed that life can
survive in space without the insulative protection that asteroid,
meteoroid, or ejecta material could provide. Look at this:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/1998/ast01sep98_1/#anchor179666

Granted that's only 2.6 years, and we brought it back to Earth. What's
to say it wouldn't have survived in the camera longer if left alone, or
if it were cocooned within the safe confines of a meteoroid or asteroid
that it couldn't survive for millions of years.

There's an interesting article on survival of microbes in space in the
Journal of Cosmology titled "Microbial Survival Mechanisms and the
Interplanetary Transfer of Life Through Space."
http://journalofcosmology.com/Panspermia9.html

And the Plausibility of Martian Microbes - Which was posted/linked to on
the Met-List in 2004
http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg21972.html
Original Article:
http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/941/plausibility-of-martian-microbes

Also good reads from LPI, NASA, and Astrobiology Magazine.

Fossil Life in ALH 84001?
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi/meteorites/life.html

Evidence of Ancient Martian Life in Meteorite ALH84001?
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/marslife.html

And these articles on extremophiles and other extreme life propagating
environs:
http://www.astrobio.net/hottopic_origins_extremelife.php

The evidence of life transfer from reputable sources is growing.

The more we learn about meteorites the more we realize that they are the
key to understanding everything.

Regards,
Eric