[meteorite-list] How Many Lunar Meteorites?

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:53:06 -0500

Dear Eric:

My alphanumeric list contains 140 named stones,

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites_list_alpha.htm

with the caveat that some do not actually have official names yet
(e.g., "Unnamed 12"). They're on the list because I've analyzed them
and know them to be lunar. That's the main reason that my number,
140, is larger than the MetBull number, 130. It's my hope that all
the unnamed get official names someday.

"Does this mean there are 130 Lunar meteorites that have been
recovered and classified, Ever?" Stones, yes; meteorites, no.

My composition-ordered list has only 68 meteorites because of known
or strongly-suspected pairings.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites_list_alumina.htm

Norbert Classen keeps close tabs on this and has 67 on his list (he
and I both know about one that is on my list but may not be on his list yet):

http://www.meteoris.de/luna/list.html

So, ~68 is the total number of known lunar meteorites. That
information is not easily available from the MetBull database. It
sometimes takes years to establish that different named stones are or
are not paired.

A confusion for your calculations is that practically every
individual lunar and martian meteorite stone gets it's own name and
line-item in the MetBull database whereas all Allende stones have one name.

Randy