[meteorite-list] Search for first U.S. lunar meteorite, Sajkowitz

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 01:25:53 -0700

Hello Rob, All,
Well, I'm flattered by the mention, but I think you're selling
yourself short here. It certainly took a great deal of
skill/wherewithal to recognize the Lucerne Valley CK4, which I
probably wouldn't have bothered to get analyzed -- even if I had, for
some unlikely reason, picked it up and taken it home as a 'strange
rock.'

Superior Valley 014 actually looked rather chondritic from afar:

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/get_original_photo.php?recno=5633196

But, to address the point - there is a goodly number of hunters here
in the US who are definitely capable of finding even a weathered
lunar. Give it some time. I'm sure that one will turn up on a
lakebed sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Oddly enough, we did find a nearly non-magnetic stone (admittedly
still a chondrite) on our last trip:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=201379&id=508345918&l=376351b876

It's pictured in the first three photos and again in the last shot,
through a microscope. I'm still not really sure why I gave it a
closer look, but I suppose it must have appeared somehow different
from even 4-5 feet away.

Magnetic canes are indispensable tools for meteorite-hunting, but when
using one, it's necessary to keep an open mind. Strangely enough, the
majority of the 'rare' meteorites that I can think of that have yet
been found in the American Southwest have generally been magnetic;
Rob's EL and CK, my acapulcoite and the other achondrite, and
Ruben's...mesosiderite(?).

Sonny and Nick Gessler, on the other hand, have found some interesting
(and non-magnetic(!)) stones, including the Bluewing eucrite, an
R-chondrite, and a CM1.

And I'm sure there's more that I simply haven't heard of yet. I'd be
curious to meet this Sajkowitz person. They're apparently the most
successful hunter in the southwest in terms of finding new and rare
meteorites (and huge, to boot!).

To put things in perspective: in terms of "rare" meteorites, Skip
Wilson has found a single ~20 gram Ureilite, out of the hundred+
meteorites that he's found.

This single fellow (BIll Sajkowitz) has found more achondrites than
all of the other hunters in the southwest, combined. In fact, no one
else has found one over 30 grams. This guy has found two (2.1kg and
700 grams), as well as the largest single carbonaceous find by any
meteorite hunter in the southwest in recent years (2.86kg).

I suppose Bob Verish's martian compares in some respects, but...look
at the ratio. Scores of common chondritic finds, and one or two
"rare" meteorites. One large-ish one.

It's not that Sajkowitz is more successful. He's simply a more
successful hunter than Sonny Clary, Rob Matson, Skip Wilson, Ruben
Garcia, etc, etc. All of us hunters in the Southwest combined.

And he's either yet to find an ordinary chondrite...or he's yet to
submit the hundreds he must have found.

...And no one has ever heard of him (?).

Doesn't seem too likely, does it? Granted, I'm willing to accept the
fact that he has *happened* to have won the lottery three times
running.

But if I were running the lottery, I'd be looking into things right
about now. With an open mind, of course.

Regards,
Jason