[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - August 26, 2010 thanks to the Hupes

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:12:25 -0400

Hi Adam and List,

Thanks for sharing your specimens, time, money, and effort with the
community at large.

This is another example of how science and meteoritics benefit from
private involvement working in tandem with institutions and
scientists.

The vast majority of these NWA meteorites would be languishing
undiscovered in the desert, if not for the efforts of private parties
to bring them to light. Sure, it can be argued that these same
meteorites could survive for thousands of years more to be discovered
later by "official" expeditions sponsored by governments or
institutions. But, the problem with that argument is that there are
no official expeditions in that region. Sure the Swiss and Germans
have made some expeditions into Oman, and we have ANSMET, but the
"official" hot desert finds are tremendously outnumbered by private
finds in both quantity and quality.

It is a pity that more governments and institutions cannot realize
this - instead of rebuking private involvement, they should embrace it
and take full advantage of it. Everyone wins.

When I see the Smithsonian sending teams of scientists into
Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Niger, and the other regions of the
Sahara, I might alter my stance. But I'm not going to hold my breath
waiting for that to happen.

Best regards and happy huntings!

MikeG

http://www.galactic-stone.com