[meteorite-list] NWA 6291 and comments about it being "The King of Angrites"

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:53:44 -0800 (PST)

In thought of hype and due to recent comments I gathered a few stats and info on angrites...

NWA 6291 and why it is "The King of angrites"
Yes, it is paired with the NWA 2999 grouping which in itself it totally unique to the angrite group. Thats nothing to knock, its very neat. There is even a chance its from Mercury, however that is disputed.
That said, NWA 6291 is so different from what it is paired to, even one of the people who likely have more experience with angrites then anyone else on this planet publicly questioned the findings of a person who they take material to themselves - the same person that did the original work on 2999 and several of its pairings. The bottom line, its paired, but so unique to an already unique group, many questioned its actual pairing!

It has 2cm pure anorthite crystals which when sliced are translucent just like a pallasite would be... to date, I have not seen ANY other angrite that has yielded translucent slices of pure anorthite when sliced to 2.5mm thick. If you have, I challenge ANYONE to share photos of a translucent anorthite angrite slice.

Some Angrite stats taken from a recent ebay listing

CURRENTLY THERE ARE 12 KNOWN ANGRITES AND A TOTAL KNOWN WEIGHT OF LESS THAN 50 POUNDS. D?ORBIGNY IS NOT ONLY THE LARGEST OF ALL ANGRITES BUT ALSO REPRESENTS 75% OF ALL ANGRITE MATERIAL EVER FOUND.

TO THIS DAY ONLY 12 HAVE BEEN FOUND WORLDWIDE. 3 OF THESE 12 WERE FOUND IN ANTARCTICA AND CANNOT BE PRIVATELY COLLECTED OR OWNED.

keeping those stats in mind, while NWA 6291 may not be the largest angrite known, or even the largest of the pairings, it is unique in appearance to an already unique group in the angrite class.
Where did I come up with the name - The King of angrites? I had about 15 people email me when I first started showing pictures of translucent slices refer to it as that or "the mother of angrites" I did not coin the term, just picked up on what others were saying to me.

My offering of NWA 6291 brought the price of angrites from $300 plus per gram down to where people were offering angrite material at $75 per gram.

When one small stone of just 235g can affect price that substantially, its special.

That said, Here is some of Tom Phillips awesome work with a thin section of NWA 6291
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/A034-2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/A031.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/1159-1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/jedisdiamond/1148-1.jpg

and also a thin section for sale from the same piece that was used to make the section Tom had. (full of pure anorthite crystals!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390266520436&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com