[meteorite-list] Ball Lightning May Explain Some FireballSighting

From: mlangen <lmlangenfeld_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 16:10:16 -0600

I have been lucky enough to see ball lightning twice.

The first was a brilliant, basketball-size globe that bounced lazily down a
neighbor's sloped driveway (after a nearby CG lightning strike) and
dissipated noiselessly after a total of five or six seconds.

The second was not much more than baseball-size, sizzling and spitting as it
dropped out of a furnace damper adjacent to a friend's basement workshop
(again, immediately after a very near lightning strike). Presumably, this
one came right down the chimney and found it's way out the damper. It
bounced slowly across the basement floor a couple of times, dissipating with
a bang like a large firecracker and leaving a strong ozone smell.
Startling, to say the least!

Mark
mlangen at execpc.com