[meteorite-list] Dawn Journal - November 30, 2010 stupid question

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 01:44:48 +0100

Hi Steve!

You still don't get it. The hydrazine isn't there for it's energy, it is
there as mass easily ejected by the rocket nozzle. There is no need for
beaming energy to a spacecraft as there is no easy way to store it and
you could collect it from the sun via solar panels. Actually, during
most of it's journey, Dawn is producing more energy than it can use with
it's solar panels.

Your other idea of burning hydrogen close to the sun is also flawed.
Even in the upper atmosphere of the sun the gas is so thin it is almost
pure vacuum. (Seems to be 500 atoms per cm3 close to the 3000000 C
corona. 1 gram of hydrogen contains 600000000000000000000000 atoms of
hydrogen , it would take 1200000 cubic kilometers of solar wind to
collect 1 gram of hydrogen close to the sun.)
But if you collected some hydrogen, what are you going to burn it with?
Oxygen? If you bring oxygen then with just 12% more mass you could bring
the hydrogen too. The oxygen to hydrogen weight ratio is 16 to 2. And
beside that, chemical rockets are a waste of mass, electric ion powered
is the way to go, just as Dawn.
But if you managed to do grazing passes of the sun to collect energy and
boost your speed you will run into another problem. When you reach a
certain speed you would break free from the gravity of the sun, but
before that your orbit would take you further out just like a comet. The
closer to the escape speed the longer time it would take for each round
trip. It would take a looooong time to reach escape velocity if you only
accelerate close to the sun.

Just as Dawn, the more it accelerate away from the sun, the higher up
from the sun it goes and contrary to what most people would think, Dawn
actually moves slower!

And by the way, to reach light speed requires infinite amount of energy
so it's not possible, at least with all the physical laws discovered so far.

/G?ran