[meteorite-list] Details on Mbale

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:09:30 +0100

> Thanks Al, I have the article now.
>
> I did some research on the boy some time ago, unfortunately there are no documented details on who he was.

Back in 1992 I did see a video of the field interview with the boy (through an
interpreter) made by Hans Betlem, who did te field research at Mbale.

At the time I already said to Hans: "you should have recorded more personal
details!". Historical details like this just survive better with a name attached
to it. Everybody remembers the name "Ann Hodges", 56 years after date. This
while "some 12-14 year old boy at Mbale" will quickly (and undeservedly) gain
the label "apocryphal" as time will progress, I am affraid

There is a photograph of the boy in the MAPS article on Mbale.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)