[meteorite-list] List of known Rusters?

From: Jonathan E. Dongell <jdongell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 22:59:21 -0800

Ed,
I will sometimes use WD40 on previously treated/preserved irons, as a
twice-a-year
cleaner/sealer as a "rub-down" with a clean towel. But, I always heat my
specimens
to ~ 400 F for ~ 20 minutes, prior to every application (let them cool
first... ouch...).
I have noticed two things when using WD40 on my specimens:
1. it appears to be, at best, only a temporary rust retardant.
2. it does not behave as a 100% water-repellant oil-based product does; in
fact,
it can (in my opinion) emulsify with water/moisture in the specimen, due to
the aliphatic
component and/or the wetting agent used in WD40.

The later # 2, is why I always insist on heating specimens that receive
WD40. You must
remove any moisture from within your specimen, or you will risk continued
degradation
of your specimen BENEATH THE SURFACE over time (in my opinion).

The only other reason I might use WD40 is a personal preference. It gives
certain irons
a slightly darker, almost black-iron oxide or 'fusion-crust' tone or
coloration (instead of
a shiny, or a gun metal blue, or etc...) with continued usage. However, this
same look,
is why some collectors DON'T like to use WD40.

That said, I would never use WD40 on a "severe ruster". There are much
better products
(many have already been named on this listing) for retarding rust. But,
NEVER apply any
of these products (in my opinion) to a specimen (especially a 'severe
ruster') until you:
1. remove as much of the alkalis and/or salts as is possible from specimen
2. remove as much ferric oxide as is possible, or convert as much ferric
oxide to
ferrous oxide (via chemical or electrico-chemical treatment) as is possible
3. apply either a chemical or an electrico-chemical treatment process to
stabilize
other minerals/metals (when necessary).
4. remove as much (better yet, all) moisture as is possible from specimen.

ONLY THEN should you apply your rust prevention product of choice. Remember,
these specimens are rusting for a reason. Most severe rusters have come from
severe (sometimes anaerobic) environments. You must remove all the above
rust
'contributing causes' prior to sealing any of these types of specimen (my
opinion).

Skipping any of the above steps, and applying a rust preventative, will
surely "lock in"
these potential 'rust mechanisms' within your specimen, which in fact, will
create a
more corrosive condition, and hasten the demise of your specimens.

One last note...
I continue to waiver on this one...
Whether it is nobler to preserve the original specimen's "as is" qualities,
or is it nobler still, to preserve the specimen from deteriorating away,
thus altering forever, the "as is" quality. Alas, there is the rub.....

Just my opinions... Best of Luck ;>}
Jonathan Dongell
IMCA 3922