[meteorite-list] The Tabor 1753 fall

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:03:49 -0800 (PST)

Chris and Listers,
?
What type of information are you looking for?about the Tabor fall? At the time that Tabor fell, in?1753, there wasnt much research done at the time and Chladni hadnt came in to the picture yet. I would say that it took up till Siena before meteoritic science started to take a strong hold and L'Aigle fall?to seal the deal. I did notice that scholars did take note with some of?these thunder stones and started to piece them together and one scholar, Howard, observed physical characteristics within the matrix of these stones and the Tabor fall. But for the most part with the Tabor fall, there is bits and pieces of information that one has to piece together. One can conclude that with this fall and countless other falls,helped pave the way with meteoritic science.
?
Here is a great link about Chladin and the origins of modern meteorite research. With this paper write by Marvin there is section about early falls and how they came to be. If you have the time I would try to read up on it if you already hadnt done so all ready.
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1996M%26PS...31..545M
?
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633