[meteorite-list] NWA 4936/5406 [was: NWA 2995]

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:47:13 -0500

Hello Aziz Alhyane and List,

Aziz wrote:
"Meteoritical bulletin really contains so many errors !!!!! just like this
site http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/nwa4936.htm
I'm sure All Moroccans can help to get every mistake about NWA finds/falls
corrected, just ask us"

Jack Schrader purchased the NWA 4936 stones and I purchased the paired NWA
5406 lunar stones from a Moroccan dealer (List member) who told us this
material was found near Siksou Mountains in southern Morocco (Western
Sahara). The classifying scientists were also told this same information by
the Moroccan dealer. Here is a link to two photos of one of the finders
provided to me, is that you Aziz?
1) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa5406/siksou1.jpg
2) http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa5406/siksou2.jpg

I was also provided an image of some of the stones next to a GPS with
coordinates clearly visible. A Google Earth search places the spot south of
Laayoune and SSW of Smara in Western Sahara.

Aziz, I appreciate your wanting to correct any false entries in the Bulletin
like the rest of us. If Jack and I were provided with a false find location
for NWA 4936/5406, please let us know what you know. If we were lied to,
this is something only concerned Moroccans like yourself can try to correct
with your fellow countrymen. If we were provided with false information,
please contact your local friend and sometime partner in Morocco, he will
want to correct any erroneous find locations as well. 'Confusion' like this
is why meteorites found in the Sahara desert are assigned with an "NWA"
designation number instead of an actual name of where they are found, or
reported as found from. There is simply no confidence in this data because
of a variety of reasons (i.e. keep the site secret, the finder did not have
GPS, etc.).

Here is part of my description for NWA 5406 that tries to explain another
problem with original distribution of NWA 4936/5406:

Initially there was some confusion concerning the combined Total Known
Weight (TKW) of pairings of NWA 4936/5406 due to mismanaged distribution of
the original eight stones by a Moroccan dealer. Eventually the puzzle was
put together. After thorough searches of the find site, it has been
established that there are eight individual stones that together constitute
NWA 5406 (six stones 281g) and NWA 4936 (two complete stones 179g and one
20g type sample from one of the NWA 5406 stones) for a combined Total Known
Weight of 480 grams. Two of the eight stones (179g total) were purchased in
2007 by a collector, who removed 20 grams from one of these complete stones
and submitted it to a second scientist for classification without realizing
the material had already been classified. Months later the two classifying
scientists were able to piece together the puzzle when the final four stones
were purchased, and another 20 grams was submitted and classified under the
NWA 5406 designation. Luckily, all eight stones were proved to come from a
single Moroccan dealer and/or finder then classified by the same scientist!
In all, a combined total of 60.1 grams in type samples have been deposited
at UWS and UAz.

<<

I hope this helps, Thank You for your concerns!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection