[meteorite-list] Geminid pic / photographing meteors

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:17:39 -0700

The sensitivity is very much related to exposure time. The longer the
shutter is open, the more the sky background (and its associated noise)
fills each pixel. This rapidly washes out fainter meteors. The actual
exposure time for a meteor is the amount of time its image dwells on a
single pixel. All the rest of the time, that pixel is accumulating signal
and noise unrelated to the meteor. It turns out that for typical meteor
speeds and typical focal lengths, video rates are just about optimal for
sensitivity. Of course, if you're not using video, you do need to leave the
shutter open long enough to catch most meteors in their entirety.

Remember, there is no such thing as noise cancellation. Some camera play
tricks to hide noise, but they do so at the expense of signal. You cannot
eliminate or even reduce noise- if you could, it wouldn't be noise, but
something systematic.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory