[meteorite-list] Good read about the moon being captured by Earth

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:39:51 -0800 (PST)

I sit partially corrected: apparently the latest "oldest" is 4.404?.8 and it
wasn't sandstone proper but metamorphosed sandstone which usually equates to
quartzite. The info did express there was some debate about a possible
hydrothermal alteration of the zircons

This tightens the time lines substantially but the other comments
remain valid until I find Where I am wrong again...lol

Elton
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_dated_rocks>

Recent research
The zircons from the Western Australian Jack Hills returned an age of 4.404
billion years, interpreted to be the age of crystallization. These zircons also

show another interesting feature; their oxygen isotopic composition has been
interpreted to indicate that more than 4.4 billion years ago there was already
water on the surface of the Earth. The importance and accuracy of these
interpretations is currently the subject of scientific debate. It may be that
the oxygen isotopes, and other compositional features (the rare earth elements),

record more recent hydrothermal alteration of the zircons rather than the
composition of the magma at the time of their original crystallization. In a
paper published in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters, a team of
scientists suggest that rocky continents and liquid water existed at least 4.3
billion years ago and were subjected to heavy weathering by an acrid climate.
Using an ion microprobe to analyze isotope ratios of the element lithium in
zircons from the Jack Hills in Western Australia, and comparing these chemical
fingerprints to lithium compositions in zircons from continental crust and
primitive rocks similar to the Earth's mantle, they found evidence that the
young planet already had the beginnings of continents, relatively cool
temperatures and liquid water by the time the Australian zircons formed.