[meteorite-list] Good read about the moon being captured byEarth

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 01:31:08 -0600

Hi,

First of all, I think that Capture Phobia (fear that
a planet might capture a satellite) is essentially
irrational. It is clear that such a thing can (and HAS)
happened: No one thinks that Deimos and Phobos
were formed "along with" Mars (in place). They're
Captures. There is little doubt or discussion that
RETROGRADE satellites are Captures. These include
Triton, the 15th largest body in the solar system,
20% bigger than Pluto. Capture.

When it comes to the large planets and their satellites,
the convention is to blithely assert they were "formed
in place." Miniature solar systems with their own miniature
solar system formation? Show me the model for that process.
Well, the truth is that no one has been able to successfully
model that assumption. It is a dead fish of an idea that
nobody sniffs.

So, we really don't know how the MAJORITY of solar
system satellites got where they're at. We DO assume
they've been there, with their planets, for a very long
time, since the early system. So, how DO you get small
rocky satellites to form around a Gas Giant AFTER every-
thing, including gasses, has already been swept up?

I have cited Malcuit in various List posts over the decade.
I dug them out but most of the old links are Kaput. I
suggest you look at his home page at Denison University:
http://www.denison.edu/academics/departments/geosciences/malcuit_r.html
He discusses his work and lists publications... but
link-free. There's a section on the "Cool Early Earth"
and whether it's a problem for his simulations.

Malcuit has spent most of his calculation on the heat
generated and how it's dispersed and by which body,
and whether a "cool" capture is easier than a "hot" one,
the role of a planet's "viscosity" in dissipating the energy
of capture... Why don't you read the page?

> Capture theory doesn't address the identical
> oxygen isotope ratios shared by Terra and Luna.
> Nor our 23? axis tilt.

Again, all oxygen isotope ratios tell you is that Earth
and Moon formed in a similar accretion zone, but we
know that. It has no effect on whether it's a Crash or
a Catch. I don't get the link between tilt and capture.
True, a satellite restrains axial tilt from wider swings,
but what has that got to do with how you got the
satellite?

And, quite a part from Malcuit's studies of Capture, there
are other ways a planet can grab itself a moon. The hardest
thing to believe about the "Luna bangs into the Earth and
gets Caught" theory, is that it HAS to be a gentle smack,
hardly more than a graze. Impacts in general are NOT gentle.

There is one way to get a graze, though. If two bodies accrete
in a very similar orbit, the larger will usually eject the smaller,
UNLESS the smaller can slip into a Trojan position in the
orbit. However, if it keeps accreting (or is big enough at the
beginning), it will be perturbed into oscillating back and
forth, approaching the larger body and finally "sliding" up
the orbit to a "gentle" collision with it.

That's kind of a Crash and kind of a Capture, with relative
velocities of only 100's of m/s. Of course, even the "slowest"
touch of planetary bodies will disrupt them. But it might
explain the Earth-Moon Double Planet.

See, a whole NEW Crazy Theory!

Sterling K. Webb