[meteorite-list] [IMCA] Update 2 - Wilbur Wash (correction)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:10:35 +0100

Hi Jason,

"[Cue the long reply from M***** about how coordinates are all
overrated and irrelevant...if it happens, I'll step out of this as
well. Enough of that.]"

Who had said in short (for you native speaker), that in weighting missing
coordinates versus a stone itself,
for him personally - other than for perhaps J**** - it never would be a
question, to throw Lafayette or Paris into the dustbin or to abstain from
analyzing the first Venerian meteorite, only for the reason that they came
with no coordinates.

Simply because he is always so curious about that, what was and is going on
beyond our small backyard out there in the solar system, where - giant heap
- mankind can't get to.
And because he respects and appreciates also the work of ANSMET, NIPR, PRIC.

"In many cases,
they're not getting paid anything extra to do that work for *you (and
me).*"

...and the *greater good of science.*

The latter is what researching scientists at universities are paid for in
general, aren't they?
(...and at least here, if they achieve to get an appointment as a tenured
German civil servant,
then the payment incl. old-age plan is all in all comfortable.
Although I concede, that the modern practice to give scientists, especially
the younger and in branches with an excess supply of applicants, only serial
contracts of always maximum 2 years, is quite shabby, cause they are often
so lousy endowed, that they reach almost the level of successful planetaries
recoverers only. I hope in overseas it's better?)

>So it can be a pretty thankless job.
Sounds like the description of a meteorite hunter, dealer, finder,
who mainly have to live from their passion :-)
But if a scientist has a passion for meteorites, I think, it can be also a
fulfilling occupation, can't it?

>Be thankful that they do as good a job as they do.

Who would be not?
And who wouldn't be thankful that the hunters and dealers do their job as
good as they do?

>In many cases,
>they're not getting paid anything extra

Hmm shall we collect on the list here, because of this reason, some money,
for the Aussies finally starting to analyze their 500 unclassified Nullarbor
finds they're sitting for 20 years now on? (Bevan, 2006)
Or is that job of the state.... especially if you think about the legal
status given to meteorites down there.
(----> which would lead to the debate about laws, ethics and moral,
Greg seemed to have wanted to start.)

Well it's simple,
in NWA-countries, we simply have not the infrastructure, that coordinates
could be taken,
I suppose it's also partially because of the argument, Jason told below in
another context.
NWAs aren't paid highly enough for, that a better field documentation could
be made
- and additionally the crystallization of idiocy and dilettantism into
certain laws encourages and advances the loss of find data first and in
extremo the loss of new materials at all.

Well and else, for quite all it is a matter of course, to give the
coordinates and find data, if known to them.
So I think, that what Greg reports or the Labennes did are exceptions.
Remember e.g. the first lunar Oman finds - they were firstly also published
without the location, but the coordinates were added after a while then -->
leading to additional finds by others than the original finders.

Neither any advantage for us, the lousy dealers pack, which as is well-known
is in ooonly for the money,
would come to my mind, in concealing find data,
especially cause meteorites with coordinates are better paid on average than
those with names.

That the find coordinates are withheld for a while, is acceptable, at least
for finds - for fresh falls, where as many specimens have to be secured as
early as possible, it is the wrong method -

the same is often common practice also in scientific work, like e.g. for
newly recovered archaeological sites or fossil sites, to keep the pack away
until the work is done.

"We collectors and dealers seem to feel *entitled*"

No, rather a few don't understand correctly, what MetSoc is made for, I'd
think.

Best,
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----