[meteorite-list] Question about lost shipment and what to do.

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2010 17:25:04 UT

Mike wrote:

"Thanks very much it seems most of the time these things have a
 pleasant ending. You have all given me me a little more hope."

Hello Mike and List,

Mailing and waiting for packages can be an unnerving project around Christmas
time. Your lost shipment reminds me of my NWA 1909 and my NWA 1943 slices from
Mike Farmer back in 2003 (October 01) -- a 600$$+ value. The package was already
in the hands of the German customs authorities about 16 km (about 10 miles) from
where we live and I was haggling with them via telephone over customs fees.

They finally agreed to send it to my home address but it never arrived even though
I had a photo copy of the customs papers from these customs dudes. More calls ...,
etc. followed ... and they informed me the package was possibly on its way back to
Tucson. If not, they added, the sender would have to start a "tracer" :-(

On December 17, I received an email from Mike Farmer informing me that the meteorites
had arrived back to him, that the packaging had been removed, that the meteorites were
loose in the box which was smashed, but the meteorites were fine and undamaged!

Mike resent them and the finally arrived (a second time) on Dec 30, 2003!
That's 3 months, now ... go figure!

Keeping my fingers crossed for your package!

Bernd (in Germany)