[meteorite-list] Mundrabilla

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 22 Dec 2010 13:45:26 UT

Hello Jason, Count, Werner + Sandra, and List,

Attached Jason, Count, Werner + Sandra will find a color version of the postcard
I sent Jeff Kuyken some years ago. Another picture that I took several years ago
shows some excellent detail of the "spongelike structure" that Jason mentions in his
post to the MetList. This is a close-up of the 252 kg slab that resides at the MPI
Heidelberg.

The black & white photo shows Siegfried Haag of the MPI Heidelberg while cutting
the first slab of the 6.1-ton Mundrabilla II mass, which took him 188 hours!

He cut not only one but four ca. 250 kg slabs, which were then distributed
as follows:

=> Smithsonian Institute (Washington, D.C.)
=> Soviet Academy of Sciences (Moscow)
=> British Museum (London)
=> Adelaide Museum (Australia)

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year
to all our Listees, Listoids, and Listers!!!

Bernd (in Germany)