[meteorite-list] NASA finds extra-terrestrial amino-acids in Sudan meteorites

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:30:47 -0500

Rob,

Marc sent me this response after I posted the article:

"Yeah, apparently de novo synthesis. Hot, carbon-rich gases in the
ureilite formed a small amount of amino acids in the meteorite as it
cooled. My bet is that it happened on metal surfaces which acted as a
catalyst, and it's not all that surprising. All you need is an
appreciable amount of nitrogen in the source gas and you should get a
little bit of everything as it cools."

I got the impression from the article / marc that the heat happened a
long time ago during the meteorites original formation or metamorphose
and not during its atmospheric entry.

Mike