[meteorite-list] Matters Arising

From: Elizabeth Warner <warnerem_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:44:08 -0500

Hey Ya'll!

I don't know the individuals involved on either side of this discussion.
But not all gun owners are irresponsible. As I'm sure not all Scots are
arrogant drunkards. (See stereotyping can go both ways!)

And while I was not pleased to see the photos showing the irresponsible
handling of the guns (sure, take your pics, keep them private, but to
show them publicly??), I do believe in the right to bear arms!

However, I was even more taken aback by Peter's statement "never thought
I would see the day when I would be sharing correspondence with "hicks"
and "rednecks"!"

And what is wrong with a 'hick' or 'redneck'??

As an exchange student in Germany 20 years ago, I was explaining to one
of my German friends what a redneck was (I am from the American south...
South Carolina!)... And I started to describe it in somewhat derogatory
terms.... until her father walked in and past and I saw he had one of
the reddest necks I've ever seen and he was a hardworking farmer... I
managed to correct myself before I insulted him.

I have found that many 'hicks' and 'rednecks' are in fact well educated
and more tolerant than Peter shows himself to be!

Clear Skies!
Elizabeth
warnerem at astro.umd.edu
301-405-6555

A true 'GRITS'... Gal Raised in the South!