[meteorite-list] Meteorite worth thousands...........

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:10:58 -0700

Hello,

It should be of great concern. Every news article, every TV show,
every special that features meteorites as "treasure" first, and
science second, will most likely result in a distorted view of what
meteorites are worth.

In my recent interview with the Washington Post writer, we spent
nearly 20-30 minutes talking about the pricing of meteorites. I
expressed to him that it was extremely important to report the pricing
accurately. I told him almost every time a story is done on meteorites
and prices are mentioned, well the reporter seems to forget the
pennies per gram and goes with the ten's of thousands that a meteorite
could be worth.

I told him when you state the high end only, you get a distorted view
of pricing, and the results can be extremely negative. I believe you
have more fraud on ebay, because people think they can get $10,000 for
the meteorwrong, not $10.00. This is most likely a direct result of
distorted news reporting and TV shows.

I know many of you dearly love the Meteorite TV shows of late, and
think they are nothing but great for the field of meteorites. Well, I
know of 4 meteorites in the field, who's owners/finders want tens of
thousands of dollars, more than these little chondrites are worth-
simply because of the Cash and Treasure Show and the first Meteorite
Men episode.

So, because I will not pay, $45,000 for a 1 kilo chondrite from North
Texas, it will sit, like many others meteorites with the owners- who
believe, because of TV shows that were done poorly, that they are
worth $50,000 or more. Science will loose out if reporting is not
done accurately.

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham