[meteorite-list] Firearms related posts on a meteorite list

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 13:44:18 -0800

Hello Mike, Robert, All,

> Mike G. I would like to point out that Michael Johnson has has made a
> huge impact on this community, he tries his best to represent people
> that are from all walks of life in the meteorite world, for you to
> target him as using "poor judgement" is insulting, that is just YOUR
> opinion, not fact as stated by you.

And he's fully entitled to that opinion. And sometimes people who are
in positions of power and who have done good things make mistakes. It
happens. Happened.

> I am not your "son" and please
> correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall seeing you at any state
> shoots, ranges, or having read your scores, or article's in any
> firearms publications. Are you a gunsmith? Did you ever shoot
> professionally? Do you have a piece of paper on the wall that says you
> know what you are talking about?

It doesn't take firing a gun, making a gun, or being trained to use a
gun to know more about statistics and what they say about
gun ownership. That's like saying a pyro should be well-versed in
fire safety and know that starting fires is dangerous, and probably
shouldn't be done.

> You say that it is ?incorrect to
> state that "it is people, not guns that kill" Show me one case of a
> firearm autonomously 'jumping up and killing someone'. A person is
> involved 100% percent of the time.

And a gun is involved in 100% of firearm deaths. And there are a lot
of those.

> toting around grandpa's squirrel
> gun, and telling stories at your local bar does not mean you know
> it all, but it is a good indicator of your mindset. Robert.

Sorry, I'm late for the lesbian tree-hugger benefit. Gotta get there
before the sun goes down.

Jason