[meteorite-list] Meteorites, Value and the Media

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 13:20:52 -0800 (PST)

Micheal,

I can understand your frustration with the media emphasizing the value of meteorites and making that the focus of many articles and features about meteorites. I've been a little disappointed myself with the focus of, I'll mention it by name, Meteorite Men, in that the production company continues to mention throughout the episodes how much meteorites are worth. I don't blame Geoff or Steve for this. I'm sure they have emphasized more than just their value to the crew...

Let's really be honest though. Meteorites ARE valuable and have been for a much longer time than Geoff and Steve have been involved in TV... Much longer than the time since Bob Haag sold his first stone and much, much longer than since Nininger was a child. Man has always placed a high value on these stones falling from the sky; Gifts from the gods...

As someone who has dealt with the media for over a decade myself, trying to convey scientific information, I long ago realized they have there own agenda. They already have the story and the slant they want to write about in place long before they contact you for the details to flesh out the article or TV segment. You are not going to change that, ever...

I've spent untold hours explaining facts and details, only to have the same reporter contact me again and again asking about the same things for a second or third time. Guess what? They still get it wrong. I've got a few reporters I will no longer give the time of day to due to the amount of my time they've wasted and others whom I expect to get the facts close, but rarely the whole cigar...

While I agree with you that it would be great if these stories would focus more on the science, the beauty, the mystery of meteorites, highly-weathered, ordinary chondrites that are only worth a few cents per gram that almost anyone can afford to buy and collect are not what the reporter has in mind when he or she thinks of meteorites and neither do their readers, listeners or watchers... Its a meteorite, a gift from the gods... It MUST be hugely valuable or They wouldn't have given it to us...

Nothing you say or do is going to change that attitude any time soon.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography