[meteorite-list] Safely removing caliche?

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 23:47:38 -0800 (PST)

Taza also sometimes has iron staining on it so you can use TSP also called iron out, a tablespoon in a cup of water should be enough. any farm store or building supply should have it. I never recommend doing anything to a meteorite, as the terrestrial weathering is natural and expected. It also gives clues to terrestrial age and removing it destroys the evidence. you could also burn it off with a small torch but you have to dry it on an oven first as any moisture in the stone can cause it to explode. Heating it a little at a time with the torch converts some of the caliche to calcium oxide so it turns white then is quickly removed with a q-tip dampened with vinegar. after it has cooled. you have to remember the crust was formed at temperatures way higher than you can create with a torch. to keep from heating it too much just heat a small spot while holding it. when it starts to get warm stop. and I mean mini torch like used for soldering electronics.
not a flashlight " for the Brits". when you are done take some rice and dry it in an oven for 4 hours at 250 degrees F . take the rice out and let it cool in a covered glass jar. when the rice is cool put enough in a zip lock bag to completely cover the meteorite, or wet cell phone lol. and let it sit for at least 3 days to completely dry it out. dried rice is the cheapest and safest desiccant you can buy. its even better than silica gel. if you want you can buy indicator beads that change color when they start to get wet and add them to the rice.
have a great day

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

Steve