[meteorite-list] WWND?

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 09:40:07 -0700

What would Nininger Do?

I apologize if I offended anyone about appreciating Dr. Moore's
message to the list. Often we forget just who is lurking here from
around the globe. When I saw a message from Carleton Moore, I
cross-checked the email address just in case, the read Eric's reply
just a half-hour later.

Being "some professor in a office somewhere that you have never met,"
I do carry a particular respect for those shoulders upon whose we
stand. With the recent loss of Brian Mason on December 3rd, I guess I
was just feeling old and wishing there was more respect for those
scientists who didn't just change the field of meteoritics forever,
but actually first discovered the the wonderful facts that so interest
us in these special stones, and make us return day after day to this
Meteorite List.

Brian Mason's obituary in the Washington Post concluded with a quote
from me that expressed a similar experience eight year ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/08/AR2009120804129.html

Having being "mentored" by the likes of David New, Chuck Lewis Tim
McCoy and others, I do worry about how many collectors believe the
mere ownership of meteorites is enough education about the science
behind meteorites.

All I wanted to convey in my reply to Eric and the List is that at any
moment, as we all experienced by the loss of Christian Anger, we can
loose the great personalities in our midst, and that sometimes we need
to savor the messenger and not stumble about whether or not the
content of the message is personally appropriate.

Thank you for your consideration.

-Martin