[meteorite-list] blue chondrule in a CM2

From: Zelimir.Gabelica at uha.fr <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 23:20:08 +0100

Hello Jeff, Matthias, Ted, all,

Your wise suggestions about the blue inclusion are highly appreciated.

I also first thought of hibonite that was mentioned in a similar
discussion we had on the list a couple of years ago. At the time, Jeff
Kuyken showed us a chondrule-like inclusion in Isheyevo and hibonite
was one of the hypotheses retained . I don't really remember the
detailed discussion that resulted but this info is now probably hidden
somewhere in the archives .
By luck, this debate (with hibonite hypothesis) as well as the
inclusion pics are still available on Jeff's site (Jeff K, I hope you
don't mind if I provide the link):

http://www.meteorites.com.au/features/isheyevo.html

The blue color in Isheyevo (as it is in Allende shown by Ted), is more
intense than the light blue shade of our TNZ "chondrule" so I did not
retain at first that hypotheis. (also because all the terrestrial
hibonites I have seen are dark brown but more often just black; the
best crystals so far come from Madagascar and I have in my mineral
collection a 6x4x3 cm single cristal, just full black- from the famous
Betroka deposit).

I now realize the hibonite hypothesis is very likely.
But enstatite is another possibility indeed. I have a terrestrial
enstatite sample that is blue-green. The synthetic enstatites we once
had synthesized in the lab are logically white.

Two last questions (sorry for insisting):

1) Should we consider this just as a curiosity or does someone believe
this could have some pertinent significance in the case of a CM2
chondrite ?

2) How can we make sure the "round light blue circle" shown here is a
chondrule or a CAI ? Jeff firmly states that the TNZ hibonite is
embedded in a CAI and Ted shows the same in Allende. Would that imply
the TNZ "circle" is also a CAI rather than a chondrule, despite of its
quasi perferctly round shape ?

My best wishes,

Zelimir

Ted Bunch <tbear1 at cableone.net> a ??crit??: