[meteorite-list] "Martin Cubes" Antiqued wood scale cubes Ad

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 22:15:23 EST

Hi list, As I have mentioned to the list previously, I have stared making
wood scale/orientation cubes.

There are a couple versions of these things. One is the new cube with a
simple oil finish. The other is an old wood finished with several layers of
toasted and striped Danish Oil and varnish then tumbled in a brass tumbler
(No grit) just long enough to wear edges.

I have a habit of coming up with names for things like "Perfect Chondrule"
 or "Ugly Black Stuff" and a name has emerged for these antique style
cubes.

I thought some of you might like the story.

After making some simple wood cubes I showed pictures to Jeff Kuyken and
it was his idea that these would be good for use with historic meteorites.
Well, historic meteorites naturally made me think of Martin Horejsi. In
fact for most of us, when historic meteorites are mentioned we think of
Martin! He is an expert in historic meteorites and has been witting articles on
them in Meteorite Magazine and Meteorite Times for years.

We also are friends. We have cut and polished more than a few of his
treasures while talking about rocks. His knowledge is amazing and what's
better he has interesting stories about nearly all of their histories. He
wrote a "From the Strewnfields" article about one of those days in the August
2006 issue of Meteorite Magazine.

I have mentioned before how meticulous Martin is. His style is total
precision while mine is quick. It was hilarious to watch us get ready to cut
one of his rare historic stones. I think my "grab and cut" approach drove
him mad. He once muttered something to the effect of "That might be OK for
an sun scorched NWA but not this rock"

Anyway, I tried to create some thing cool. I wanted to come up with a
cube that even Martin would put next to his Ensisheim.

As I worked on them, such as when I went on one of my frequent trips down
to the work shop to check on the batch in the toaster oven or some other
thing, I told my wife "I'm going down to check on the Martin cubes"

That name has stuck and they are now known as Martin Cubes.

They were a pain to make so I am not sure if I will produce an other
batch. If I hear Martin has placed one in his showcase next to his Ensisheim
slice, I will know I did a good job!

I have ordinary wood cubes I am including with my eBay sales such as this
one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260550364645&ssPageName=S
TRK:MESELX:IT

These are clean and fresh, made of new pine. They still go with the
historic finds but they have just a simple linseed oil finish. So if you see my
 listings you will know there is a difference.

This is not really an ad but I am linking an auction so it is in the
subject line.