[meteorite-list] Glass-coated Campos?

From: Ed Deckert <edeckert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:15:07 -0500

Sounds like an interesting product. But the article indicates the silicon
dioxide coating is "breathable," which makes me wonder how effective it
would be in moist climates.

They claim that seeds coated with "Liquid Glass" germinated faster than
seeds that were not coated. For seeds to germinate, I have always
understood that moisture (water) was required. If moisture can penetrate
the coating to germinate seeds, I would think that moisture could get
through to the meteorite as well.

But then, I suppose it could provide additional protection if applied after
properly treating the meteorite with Bill Mason's products.

Hopefully this becomes available soon and can be tested. I would caution
anyone using it to exercise care not to breathe in the vapors. You would
need to wear an appropriate respirator mask, and have adequate ventilation.
Breathing silicon dioxide dust causes a condition called "silicosis of the
lung." It is cumulative and incurable, ultimately leading to death - except
I suppose if a lung transplant might be a possibility. I know of this
condition very well as a friend's husband died from silicosis.

Ed