[meteorite-list] Fw: RFSPOD - February 9, 2010 Buzzard Coulee Blue Inclusion

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:38:19 +0100

Hi Jeff, all,

The presence of Bornite inclusions in BC as
suggested by John and you, is indeed interesting.

As a mineral collector familiar with various
shades exhibited by metallic minerals, indeed
Bornite, typically bluish, is the first to come in mind.
But I also have in collection quite a few
Chalcopyrites showing a similar blue or bluish-magenta shade.

Chalcopyrite is currently brass-colored (color
similar to Pyrite, though different and thus
making Pyrite and Chalcopyrite easily discernable
from each-other only by considering their color
or glitter...) and I believe (but did not check
so far) that its blue color might indeed stem
from some "chemical restructuration" (I prefer
not to use the term "oxidation", that might be here too specific).
Indeed, when you break some (brass-colored on
surface) Chalcopyrites, you can sometimes find
such blue areas inside the fresh fracture.

I then followed your idea to Google
"Chalcopyrite" and, indeed, some of them show
blue areas or are even completely blue:

http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr&um=1&q=chalcopyrite&sa=N&start=21&ndsp=21

Apparently the blue shade could be related to the presence of copper.
Bornite is Cu5FeS4, while Clalcopyrite is CuFeS2.
Note that Pyrite (FeS2) does not contain copper and is never blue.

I remember a few other "metallic" minerals that sometimes show blue shades.
They are (from memory): Meneghinite (Pb13 Cu Sb7
S24), Germanite (Cu26 Fe4 Ge4 S32), Briartite
(Cu2ZnGeS4) or Renierite ((Cu,Zn)11 (Ge,As)2 Fe4 S16)
(formulas just taken from the Fleitscher's
"Glossary of Mineral Species, 2008", that I always have on hand)

I don't claim that the last 4 minerals are
present in meteorites (quite unlikely) but I note
similarities with Chalcopyrite and Bornite, which are the following:

All 6 minerals involve Cu, Fe and S (S as sulfide, thus anion)

This being, Bornite and Chalcopyrite involve the simplest formulas.

Considering the Cu/Fe ratio in these 2 minerals
and the scarcity of Cu in meteorites (with
respect to Fe that is far more abundant),
obviously Bornite (that contains 5 times more Cu
than Fe) is less likely to be present in
meteorites than Chalcopyrite in which the Cu/Fe molar ration is one.

Jeff, note also that in your second link,
Chalcopyrite is more often cited than Bornite as
"terrestrially weathered iron meteorite mineral"....

These are my first speculations and hopefully
they will generate more ideas regarding this
intriguing issue (metallic-like blue spots in
meteorites, that I believe are definitely
different than the blue hibonite-containing
"chondrules" or "CAI" we discussed bout previously).

Best wishes,

Zelimir