[meteorite-list] Submerged Meteorites - Methods of Retrieval

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:57:00 -0800 (PST)

Mike,

one could also consider piggy-backing on the mining of Manganese mining, but since this idea, where known mineral reserves are mined from the sea-floor has been shown to be unprofitable, having too many environmental restrictions, with taxes on the recovered minerals (yes, international taxes) would be prohibitive, I suspect any meteorites recovered by such a project, or by any other means would be worth the cost of effort and would not attract a single investor...

Interesting read about Deep Sea Manganese mining here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese_nodules

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography