[meteorite-list] organics in Muchison.....

From: Zelimir.Gabelica at uha.fr <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:17:03 +0100

Dear Matthias,

Your questions are very pertinent. I'll try to reply the best I can,
by trying to avoid confusion between "diversity" and "complexity".

Let's try to simplify.
Here is my modest understanding of the issue, bearing in mind I am by
no means an expert in biology and its development, neither I am
regarding the conditions in space that can provoke (or at least had
provoked in Murchison) a high molecular diversity.

Our spectra richness gives (experimental) evidence of intrinsic and
compositional diversity in space, within and across chemical classes,
which is an acknowledged feature of extraterrestrial chemistry (see
e.g. J. R. Cronin et al., Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 57 (1993), 4745
Comparable but lesser diversity was also found in terrestrial organic
matter. Ref.: N. Hertkorn et al., Anal. Chem. 80 (2008), 9808 ;
Norbert Hertkorn, co-author of our paper, is expert, along with Phil
Schmitt-Kopplin, of NOM's (Natural Organic Matter, thus "humic acids"
& related, present in terrestrial aqueous systems ....)

To answer more specifically your 6 questions (that are related), I'd say:
No, the development of life does not depend (necessarily) on a kind of
reduction of chemical diversity.
In other words, life can develop (as it did on Earth) from a
relatively small (reduced or not) number of initial molecules,
provided some other parameters (than in space) act as driving force
(presence of oxygen, water (under ambient conditions), ambient (= not
extreme) temperature.....).
But this does not imply that it can't develop from a large number of
molecules as well.
This does certainly not mean that such a life did not develop
"somewhere in space" under different conditions.
As mentioned J. R. Beda in his comments on our paper in "C&EN" (Feb 16, 2010):
"The challenge now is to fish out molecules that may have some
important early biochemical role".

Would life be linked to a process of picking up elements out of the
construction kit and combine them ?
I defy anyone to answer that question.

Now regarding distinction between diversity and complexity, I don't
imagine that the complexity of terrestrial biochemical "space" is
necessarily a result of reduction of (initial) diversity.
I believe this can also most probably occur if a high diversity is maintained.
In other words, should the high diversity of molecules (such as we
found in Murchison) be also present on Earth at the time when the
conditions were conductive to the expansion of life, this expansion
would probably have occurred as readily as if that diversity was
somewhat restricted (this is an hypothesis that I'd be glad if someone
more expert than me could comment - but not necessarily confirm).

To conclude, we give in our paper a little more detailed picture than
what is summarized in one sentence of the abstract.
The DIVERSITY of extraterrestrial organics was driven (but also
possibly sometimes restricted) by "extreme" physical parameters such
as "temperature", radiation, various alterations....leading to a
selectivity of reaction pathways (entropy-driven continuous
distribution of molecular compositions and structural characteristics
of ABIOTIC syntheses).
Such thermodynamic and kinetic constraints might deviate from
terrestrial biogeochemistry, under our current mild conditions
(oxygen, ambient temperature etc).
In other words, these latter conditions could lead, from a restricted
number of initial molecules (but not necessarily restricted!) to a
high and EARTH-SPECIFIC COMPLEXITY, by inducing various favorable
transformations.

Just some thoughts from a non expert chemist. I encourage Phil
Schmitt-Kopplin, who is reading us, to possibly add his own comments.
I also stay flexible to any (constructive or destructive) remark from
any of you.

Matthias, I will forward you the full paper as attachment.
Unfortunately, for the list, I have no link to provide. Those
interested, feel fee to request a copy.

Kind regards to all,

Zelimir

Oh, I almost forgot:
YES, definitely Murchison smells (a quite strong smell, not really
unpleasent, especially when the sample was sealed in some jar for
years).

Matthias B?rmann <majbaermann at web.de> a ??crit??: