[meteorite-list] Lovina Iron

From: Fries, Marc D <Marc.D.Fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:49:07 -0800

What a beautiful meteorite! My first take on it is that it must have
crystallized directly from a melt. The pyramidal forms looks like dendrites
complete with a preferred orientation. Dendrites do not form in solids like
Widmannstatten patterns do ? they form by solidification from a liquid. If
that?s what we?re looking at here and not just some sort of
corrosion-etching effect, then it appears that this solidified directly from
an iron/nickel melt without significant recrystallization afterwards. It
will be fun to see what comes of this. I think we all know that photographs
never tell the whole story.

Cheers,
Marc Fries