[meteorite-list] La Grange - Information Sought

From: Dave Myers <whitefalcons007_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:37:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi Matt and list,

Not sure why, but my 1st reply ended up in my own spam box, So not sure if you got it! ......(But what it says!..is)

La Grange (Iron) Oldham County Kentucky, 38 degrees 24'N and 85 degrees 22'w, Found in Oct. 1860 near La Grange, Oldham Co. KY.

This flatten, elongate mass is turtle-shaped and smooth. It was acquired by J.L.Smith in 1861 who distributed one-third of it to various museums.

It is classified as a fine to finest Octahedrite (subtype IVA) contains Trolites, and has interesting zig-zag features, which may represent fissuring of the main mass and injection of trolite melts. The widmanstatten strutures implying that the meteorite under-went some form of cold deformation. (A mass of 112 lbs was recovered|)

This info. is from Unbroken meteorites rough draft.com

Hope this helps
Dave