[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - February24, 2010

From: Norbert Classen <riffraff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:06:11 +0100

Hi Adam, Greg, and All,

I'm no expert when it comes to iron meteorites, but could these "voids"
represent troilite nodules or other phases which have been weathered out of
the specimen by the same forces that created the ziggurat structures? Just
think of the exterior parts of Mundrabilla and its "voids" and "vugs" which
are also weathered out troilite nodules and no primary features...

Just my two cents,
Norbert

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

HI Adam and List,

This is a fascinating specimen. Surely it represents a previously-unknown
parent body.

While the presence of vugs/vesicles suggests the specimen was not formed in
a vacuum, maybe there was some gases present during the formation.

For example, suppose a large comet slammed into a predominately-iron
asteroid. Comets contain large volumes of material that can sublimate, and
maybe during the collision, some of this gaseous material injected into the
iron body. The heat and/or shock resulting from the collision provided
inroads for the cometary material by expanding existing fissures or faults.
Then the intermingled material rapidly cooled, forming the vesicles we see
now. The massive shock and/or heating would also wipe out the native
widmanstatten pattern present in the iron body, leaving behind an
ataxite-like mass without the typical crystallization patterns......???

Then this curious mass fell to Earth and experienced weathering/alteration
to provide the strange external appearance we see now.

Or, to play devil's advocate, perhaps this is a very atypical type of
industrial slag unlike any seen before. Is there any industry
present in the area where this mass was found?

Best regards,

MikeG