[meteorite-list] Labeling specimens

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:20:12 -1000

Aloha Martin, Ted, list,

I have a modest collection of fresh fall individuals that i have been keeping in labeled ziploc bags. Which is fine when stored away in my collection vault. This strategy has worked for me while my collection was under 50 locations. But now that it has grown considerably, and since I now loan them to my institute for exhibits and displays, there is the opportunity for, and risk of having them mixed up and mislabeled (slices are not a problem since they remain in labeled membraneboxes or display boxes). Especially since I narrow my collection pieces to 20-60g complete individuals - many of which resemble each other, although I do pride myself in recognizing all of them by sight.

However, just recently during an inventory, I noticed that my cataloged weights did not jive with a specimen, and discovered that a Pultusk and Oum Dreyga were accidentally switched (most probably from collecting them after an outreach event exhibit). D'oh!

I try to keep meticulous records of my pieces, but oversights and accidents can occur. I am considering adopting a numbering strategy, but have concerns as well about what type of paint or pigment to use. Or perhaps if a small affixed numbered label would be a better solution - but then what type of adhesive should be employed?

So are there any collectors on the list that do number or label their specimen? And if so, what strategy do they employ?

gary