[meteorite-list] TRINITITE "Who is Dr. LaPaz"

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:39:07 -0500

Hi Sterling and List,

Yes, your home smoke detector contains material that is far more
radioactive than trinitite. Trinitite is an alpha emitter, but a very
weak one. Handling it is OK, within reason. Don't ingest it or allow
it to enter the mucus membranes or an open cut. I generally keep mine
sealed behind glass, but I do have to handle it to weigh, prepare, and
sell specimens. It hasn't killed me yet and I have not developed any
superpowers.

Depending how close you hold the probe next to a sample during
testing, it will register less than 100 milliroentgens. Some pieces
are hotter than others, but hot is relative here, since the worst
components have degraded into less-harmful decay products. If
trinitite was a meteorite, it would be considered quite "weathered" by
now.

Best regards,

MikeG
www.galactic-stone.com