[meteorite-list] Labeling specimens

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:33:31 +0100

Agreed Martin!

And btw. meteorites are a kind of natural "products".

Anyway Steve,

meteorite collecting is quite the safest field of colleting of all.
Nowhere else there are so strict requirements for the authentication of the
collectible items.

A quadruple safety you have:

1. New finds and falls get classified. This is done by independent and
non-commercial labs and by the few experts on the planet, who are
specialized in that. These classifications and evaluations are done
according hard physical and chemical criteria.
Therefore it is somewhat different, as let's say with a reviewer or a
evaluator in the arts sector, where the statement he delivers strongly
depends on his individual education, his experience and on his gut
instincts.
Often such analyses can take 1-2 years, before the owner of the stone can
think about circulating that material.
And with rarer types often several labs are working on the classification.
A sample of that "collectible" will be kept in an independent institute for
reference purposes and further studies.

2. The results of that "evaluation" are reviewed by a central scientific
institution, by a panel consisting of leading experts of that branch of
science. Called the NomCom of MetSoc. All basic data of all meteorites are
collected in one place - and are centrally published and for everyone
accessible in the Meteoritical Bulletin.

3. Meteorites are the rarest collectibles in existence.
Only a very few "players" take part in the World-scene of meteorites.
No dealer or collector could trade non-authentic specimens, because if he
gets caught, his reputation would be fully ruined and he couldn't take part
in the meteorite World any longer. (Such cases happened).
The meteorite scene, scientists, hunters, collectors, dealers are a dense
network. And meteorites are so rare, that especially with the meteorites
with "names" and with the rarer (expensive) types, there do not exist
"anonymous" meteorites. No such meteorite, where not other collectors do
have samples to compare and where other participants of the collecting field
do exactly now, how that material looks like.

4. IMCA and its members are permanently monitoring that "market".

Whenever I buy a coin, an artefact, a Picasso or a Duesenberg,
then I don't have such a multiple standard of safety like when I buy a
meteorite.

>graded and authenticated by the...

Is theoretically possible.
IMCA would have to employ 20-30 fulltime experts and bureau people.
Sellers would have to send in each specimen to get it sent back.
Shipping, working places, working materials...
Waiting time, sellers in turn had to higher helpers...

That costs. Meteorite prices of these years hit rock bottom.
Meteorite sellers would have no choice else, then to pass on the additional
costs of such an additional authentication process to the collectors.

If I look into ebay... most stuff is in the 10-50$ range.

If the collectors would be willing to pay 50-250$ for the very same stuff,
then we can do it.

So I can't see a win-win-situation.
Where should be the advantage to create a fifth instance of safety,
if the costs for the collector will explode then?

Nor do I see an advantage for the collector, to create an investor market.

Collectors strongly profit from the circumstance, that the meteorite market
is so small. That most people on Earth do not know, that you can buy a piece
of Mars, Moon, Vesta or what a brachinite or a rumurutiite shall be at all.

The quantity of "goods" is very limited. Just look in the Bulletin Database,
how few of the most common achondrite class, the HEDs were found in Sahara,
Oman... and remember, how short time it took, that the largest stone find
ever, NWA 869 with 7 tons, was completely absorbed by "the market", think
about how fast the most ubiquist meteorite ever, Gibeon (the all-time-Campo
of the 20th century) after 1999, or the tons and tons of Sikhote-Alin.

If we had only 2-3 big investors, how they are very common in the antiques
or arts market, the meteorite market would be completely empty in 1-2 years.

Meteorites are extremely rare stuff and not reproducible at will.
Steve, take the P?rigord or Alba truffles, which are easier to hunt like a
Brenham or a NWA-OC - each year much more of them are found then the
complete tonnage of all finds from 10 years Oman hunting and more than
meteorites are found per year.
Difference is, that for a kilo-chunk of an ordinary, averagely weathered
NWA-chondrite - that stuff what makes up 90%+ of all (non-iron) finds,
you're not paying 4000 or 7000$ like for a kg truffles, but currently 25 to
50$ at Bessey and friends.

With the money paid for 2-3 top sales each year of single top-items of the
art sector or the antiques sector or the mineral&fossil sector - you can buy
out the complete meteorite world market.

That's why also for me that laws debate is in my eyes so hysterical.
Instead to tell everywhere fairy tales, about meteorite people getting
billionaires and poor science and crying for laws,
those guys and gals should just care for getting the funds for a single
mid-sized research project - like it is common use in EACH and EVERY branch
of institutional science too - and they simply could buy off all meteorites
of da World completely and at will and at peanuts compared to that, what
their ancestors had to pay.
Of course, if some of the top twenty World collections, have an annual
budget for meteorite purchases of 1000$ to 10,000$ only - then they might
feel like the prohibition-yellers....
But it's not our fault, if they have such funds lower than the village
museum of Poopaloosa - they have to care for that, we aren't entitled to do
that or to be heard.

So the collectors profit to an extreme degree from the circumstance, that
the meteorite "market" is all in all so - and that word has also a positive
meaning - so "amateurish".
(lat. "amare" means "to love").

If it wouldn't be like that - meteorite collecting would be an activity only
for very wealthy people (and the countries would have then really to think
about legal restrictions).

Therefore I can't see a win-win-situation, if the "market" would be more
professionalized (respectively it would be a win-win only for the dealers
and hunters).

Cheers!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----