[meteorite-list] Labeling specimens

From: info at niger-meteorite-recon.de <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:12:52 +0100 (CET)

Ed, Count and list,

I'd like to second the count's and Ed'd considerations regarding numbering your
specimens. Of course most private collectors recognize their individual
meteorites. Mix ups are not so much a problem during one's lifetime. At least
not unless we don't start to juggle with a couple of hundred specimens which we
lend to exhibitions, for research, or have our kid's kindegarden pals sort
through them.

However, as Dave Gheesling recently has pointed out in his excellent article on
Temporary Custodians, sooner or later every collection will be broken up,
separated or turned over to the following generation. If no written track on the
individual specimens has been kept, the knowledge on these treasures will perish
with the previous owner.

Dealer and museum curators can tell you stories of collections offered by heirs,
where all the information that was passed with a specimen, if any at all, was a
name on a crumpled paper card. When pieces are not individually packed, which is
also quite common, no safe attribution of specimen cards and meteorites can be
untertaken at all.?
?
Photos are one way to assign identity to a specimen, but unless you do not have
the patience of a Zen monk and you are faced with a collection that has 20 small
Gaos, Pultusks, Wilunas and Zags in it, you soon discover the limits of this
approach.

I very much encourage everyone to undertake the little effort. All that it takes
to preserve the identity of a specimen is a printed or digital inventory list,
which contains some sort of distinct, non-ambigous assignment of a specimen and
the information associated. The pendant should be applied directly on the
specimen itself, it's the safest way. Painted numbers in my experience have
prooven superior, but other means of course are appropriate too. Safely storing,
better publishing or distributing your collection catalogs of course is crucial
to preserve that information.
?
There are many and perhaps better examples how one may label and number his
specimens, anyway, to get a picture this may be sufficient:
http://www.meteorite-recon.com/en/Meteoritensammlung.htm
?
cheers
Svend