[meteorite-list] Labeling specimens

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:19:16 -0500

Hello Arnaud,

You wrote, "I would like to disagree with everyone here. If we all start
painting numbers on meteorites, in 2-3 generations, all specimens will be
full of useless graffiti -..."

I should clarify my comments on labeling specimens of meteorites, fossils or
artifacts. At this point, I do not intend to 'number' each of my items with
my own collection number. I was mainly referring to find locations, dates,
etc. on larger fossils, artifacts and meteorites I find. I would never think
of painting (tagging/painting graffiti) fresh meteorites, or delicate
fossils or artifacts. On the other hand, most of these items don't have a
handy hole to string a thread with paper ID card, which I actually like that
old school look!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe