[meteorite-list] 2010 AL30: Bright newly-discovered close approaching object

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:40:53 -0600

List,

More information on 2010 AL30 can be
found here:

Updated through 3:30 pm today:
http://news.discovery.com/space/the-2010-al30-an-asteroid-or-man-made-object.html

Similar, but includes a flyby movie -- zoom!
Also has sky photos of the object.
http://www.scibuff.com/2010/01/12/2010-al30-more-info-including-a-fly-by-animation/

It will be approaching from the night side of
the Earth, so the approach is observable. After
it passes to the Sunside, it will be "lost" very
quickly. The close pass will be at about 80,000
miles.

Interestingly, it has had past close encounters
with Venus (assuming no great orbit changes).
This has given rise to speculation that it might
be hardware from a Venus mission, but the orbit
is still unlikely.

Maybe the Venusians are checking out Planet
Three...

Sterling K. Webb