[meteorite-list] Small Asteroid 2010 AL30 Will Fly Past TheEarth

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:46:05 -0600

Hi, Larry, Chris, List,

I was thinking, for "heavy object in a meteoroid stream,"
the 1975 impact on the Moon that was detected by seismograph
experiment left behind by one of the Apollo missions (15?). It
was at the June 30 peak of the diffuse beta Taurids and has
been interpreted as one of them.

The seismograph record covered 1972-1978, and the 1975
impact corresponded that of a 2.5-ton object, the biggest
impact recorded by those seismographs on the Moon.

Oh God, I'm going to have to document this, aren't I?

Of course, it could have been a sporadic with the signature of
a beta Taurid, but I think that's stretching coincidence. The
five day bracket June 28-July 2, 1975, recorded more one-ton
objects slamming into the Moon than the entire remainder of
the total seven-year record.

A-ha! There it is:
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1978LPSC....9.3615D/0003615.000.html

So, yes, I'd have to say there are heavy objects embedded in
"meteoroid streams." Does something as heavy as two 1975
Volkswagens count as "heavy"? Would you be convinced if it
had been as heavy as a Lincoln Town Car? It was! (Wikipedia
says 1970's Town Cars weighted "4500 to 5300 lb (2000 to
2400 kg)")

I stand my ground. If it's as heavy as a Lincoln Town Car...
it's heavy.

Sterling K. Webb